This is what Alexei actually said to Jon Snow on Channel 4 News on the day that Thatcher died:
"I think of her as the first modern Personality Disorder politician. I think that's why Blair is so cut up [distressed]. They've both got similar narcissistic Borderline Personality Disorders. She was just . . . bonkers. She seemed completely nuts . . . This woman was crazy. This woman was completely false. She had a completely messianic sense of her own rightness. She came out with strings of cliches and prejudices. It didn't mean she wasn't an effective politician . . . She just came out with prejudices strung together as policy."
Thank you Alexei!
I think he's wrong, however, about Blair, who is clearly a psychopath. Too strong? Take a look at the Wikipedia (etc) lists of criteria for diagnosis of psychopathy, and then tell me he isn't.
Women, for some reason, don't tend to be diagnosed as psychopaths. Instead, many women can be clearly seen to have Borderline Personality Disorder [Also called Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder.] It may be a wide spectrum, but here's the list of criteria for diagnosis:
* characterized by unusual variability and depth of moods. These moods may secondarily affect cognition and interpersonal relationships.
* impulsive behaviour
* intense and unstable interpersonal relationships
* unstable self-image
* feelings of abandonment and an unstable sense of self.
* often engage in idealization and devaluation of themselves and of others, alternating between high positive regard and heavy disappointment or dislike.
* feel emotions more easily, more deeply, and for longer than others do.
* people with BPD are often exceptionally idealistic, joyful, and loving. However, they can feel overwhelmed by negative emotions, experiencing intense grief instead of sadness, shame and humiliation instead of mild embarrassment, rage instead of annoyance, and panic instead of nervousness.
* especially sensitive to feelings of rejection, isolation, and perceived failure.
* often aware of the intensity of their negative emotional reactions and, since they cannot regulate them, shut them down entirely. (This can be harmful to people with BPD, as negative emotions alert people to the presence of a problematic situation and move them to address it.)
* impulsive behaviours are common, including: substance or alcohol abuse, eating disorders, and reckless driving.
* experience chronic feelings of emptiness, inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)
* experience transient, stress-related paranoid ideation
* marked tendency to act unexpectedly and without consideration of the consequences
* marked tendency to engage in quarrelsome behaviour and to have conflicts with others, especially when impulsive acts are thwarted or criticized
* liability to outbursts of anger or violence, with inability to control the resulting behavioural explosions
* difficulty in maintaining any course of action that offers no immediate reward; unstable and capricious (impulsive, whimsical) mood
If you wanted to be flippant about it you might say that women like Thatcher behave as though they're having an ongoing triple-strength bout of PMT. The condition certainly seems related to levels of oestrogen.
People who knew Thatcher tend to speak about her intensity, her rage, her inappropriate anger, her temper, her love of combat, her deliberate picking of quarrels and fights, her desire to dominate and her inability to consider or to tolerate views that were different to or in opposition to hers.
She would, however, balance out such behaviour with a pretence of solicitousness and caring, which many in her circle took to be genuine. She was a decent enough actress, and knew how to manipulate others, as well as bully them. She abused both her personal and her political power. She was charismatic, but not in a good way.
If she saw herself as some sort of national or international supermum, then that wasn't in a good way either. She was massively over-opinionated, quite possibly because she was at heart very insecure, and therefore willing or needing to latch on to some sort of faith or ideology, such as the neo-liberalism and neo-conservatism she learnt from the likes of Hayek and Keith Joseph. Having become a disciple of these political and economic beliefs, she ran with them like a true believer. Her mission was indeed to convert the world to this ridiculous, materialistic, fanatical, 'free market' doctrine, the results of which we're all living with now.
It's possible that the dementia which set in during her time as prime minister arose from stress, from lack of sleep, from physical and emotional exhaustion, and from her BPD.
Whatever. I suppose it's a pity that nobody in her family or in her immediate circle of advisors was able to see that there was something seriously wrong with her, and therefore help her to seek professional help with her condition. Not that she'd have listened to them, or been willing to entertain the thought that she had some serious issues. That's the problem with BPD - it's a vicious cycle.
Whilst on YouTube for Alexei, take a look at these other clips -
Margaret Thatcher Death Celebrated By Critics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHlHxiZeUK0
Margaret Thatcher's death celebrated in Brixton - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrxy93fY3vI
MARGARET THATCHER DEAD!! Brixton Celebrates Party - Ghost Town - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikhRGrJReJ8
'The Witch is Dead' - Street Party - Brixton - 8th April 2013: Part II - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgaYos7q24o
The Late Night Street Party "Celebrations" in #Brixton following news of Margaret Thatcher's Death - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQE7le-ZfMs
'The Witch is Dead' - Street Party - Brixton - 8th April 2013: Part III - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-MRwLp_b8
Glasgow George sq . THATCHER IS DEAD 8/4/13 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXY9Lld-38
THATCHER IS DEAD!!!! IT'S TIME TO PARTY!!!! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j5Jpmu67t8
Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMFjFoq6T9M
Margaret Thatcher - DING DONG THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEpzzsdZT6E